Saturday, January 7, 2017

Skiing

Let me start off by saying, I know I am good at a lot of things. I don’t mean to sound arrogant, but it is true. There are lots of things I am good at. Skiing is not one of those things.
              It is for that reason that my dad found a place for me to volunteer instead of skiing. I spent two days volunteering at an animal shelter in Utah and basically just playing with dogs and cats, until we realized it is not as fun as it sounds. I’m not saying I don’t like hard work; the problem wasn’t that. The issue was that there was no work for me to do. At all. I walked the dogs once a day and occasionally mopped up some pee. That’s it. The rest of the day I sat around doing nothing! Now, I’m also not telling you not to volunteer, it’s just that this place had enough staff that actually knew what they were doing to run the place without volunteers. They simply didn’t need me.
              So, I tried skiing again. Now, skiing terrifies me, but there is no better way to get over a fear than to face it head on. It was cold. When I say cold, I mean a high of 11 degrees. It was very sunny and clear, with no snow, so I was able to ski just fine. I got back to the same skill level I was at before in no time. I actually had fun just skiing and hanging out with my dad. It was a full and tiring day, but it was worth it.
              My dad and I also had a lot of fun cooking really healthy meals together. We made lots of good Italian and Mexican food, and underestimated how much rice grows when you cook it. 


              Now, we are preparing for the next leg of our journey. Next week, we’ll be driving to the upper peninsula in Michigan to drive around in the snow with a bunch of other trucks. I’m looking forward to it and think it’ll be really fun. 

1 comment: